4.17.2014

iPads in the everyday classroom...

Are you lucky enough to have iPads in your building?  Our school is just getting started with them and we have about a dozen that can be signed out on an as-needed basis.  I was lucky enough to receive one through Donors Choose in the fall, and my family upgraded our original iPad, so I donated that one to my classroom, as well.  So…we have two in our classroom at all times.  It would seem like it would be hard to share just two iPads between 23 students, but I have found a way to make it work.
Each day, during our modified "Daily 5" (we really do a  Daily 3--another blog, another day), 6 students get a turn on the iPad.  They all have an assigned shift, and they can use their time for Read to Self or Word Work with the tech-y tool.  (There are screen shots of some of my favorite apps for these below). That leaves us with a few open slots throughout the week for students who or absent, or for students who have earned additional time (classroom rewards, special helpers, etc.).

Besides Daily 3 time, we have Math Stations each day and students work in partners for this. Here, four students per day get to use an iPad for math games/activities and these rotate.  ( I actually modeled it after the amazing Amy Lemons' recent blog post about Math Stations in her classroom (http://stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com/search/label/math%20stations) and it has worked so well!)  On Fridays, we review and spend our entire math block rotating through math games/stations/practice activities/etc. and I grab a few extra iPads and leave one station as strictly iPad Math.  The kids love Hungry Fish and Sushi Monster, and Math Fight is really fun for facts with a buddy (BONUS:  2 kids "share" the screen in Math Fight---less iPads needed this way).

Lastly, in regards to iPads, I have started using a fun app called Name Selector (pic below) to call on random students during lessons and activities.  It keeps track of students whose names have been called and won't repeat until all names have been selected.  It's FREE (with ads) or you can upgrade to go ad free.
As a whole class, we've signed out iPads and made Digital Timelines in Keynote, as well as some fun iMovies.  We've also just started MYSTERY SKYPE experiences (read about them in earlier blog posts!) and have used the Skype App and Apple TV to mirror it to a large screen  The possibilities are truly endless!  I feel like I've really been able to balance independent and whole group iPad time and am so grateful to be part of a school that is investing in this technology.  :)

And…finally….I am so close to 100 followers on FB! Just seven  to go!)  The adorable chevron sign below (personalized for the winner) will be a GIVEAWAY once I reach that milestone.  Please share my FB page with your teacher friends so I can get that going ASAP.  It's been a great week and I hope to keep the momentum going.

 We LOVE Storia for Read to Self!  The activities are an added bonus. 

Name Selector, Word Work Apps, and Math Apps



Have you liked my FB Page?  Click above to be brought there! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting about how you use your iPads! I just started using them with my students a couple of months back and I love to hear how other teachers use theirs! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete